If you go outside for a picnic, sporting event, page work, or relax on the terrace, chances are you have seen one or two bugs. While covering is the best choice for reducing bug bites, it’s not always realistic. However … summer can be hot!
In the past I had won cans of commercial bug spray lying around during cooking and camping visits; I thought it was better than dancing like a wild turkey, slapped myself, and shouted at a bug while friends shot at me. However, I never felt right about it.
Matt has boycotted toxic DEET solutions for many years to support essential oil solutions, with great success.
The more I educate yourself about DEET and other chemicals, the more I’m sure I have to be proactive about finding a better alternative. (If you are new in a DEET problem, you might be interested in reading this article.) I tried treating my skin with a decent respect for doing a difficult job to protect my inside. Thank God I have found the power of essential oils and their ability to block insects!
Before you are desperate and spray on commercial spray bugs (which may contain some malicious chemicals), take the time to consider a better alternative; Natural DIY mosquito repellent which smells amazingly effective and only takes a few minutes to prepare.
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil as a natural homemade insect
The main ingredient in homemade mosquito repellent is Eucalyptus lemon oil. Who agreed CDC and EPA safe and effective DEET, although it was not durable.
Furthermore, citronella, lemon, and eucalyptus oil is a homemade insect repellent that is common and registered by EPA and has been approved for topical use in humans. 
Lemon Eucalyptus oil has been found as the most effective natural DIY mosquito drug. Studies have found that this special oil efficacy drops third in line, behind Deet and Picaridin. This is the only natural repellent registered with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and recommended by controlling centers and prevention of disease (CDC) for human effectiveness and safety.
Different oil repels different bugs, so it’s best to use a combination of essential oils to ward off some types of gorda. Don’t let the fear eating alive makes you stay in this season. Instead, invest in several harsh essential oils and this natural alternative test to chemical spray.
Note – Example of a bug-repelling essential oil blend:
- 55 drops of Eucalyptus lemon essential oil (reported by the CDC to become a natural substitution that is good for DEET in insect repelling but is not recommended for use in children under 3 years.)
- Add 15 Drops of Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 15 drops of essential oil lavender (if using, select Lavandula angustifolia – “Lavender (40-42) essential oil” does not have the same insecticide quality.)
- 15 drops of Rosemary essential oil
This natural homemade mosquito repellent is very good for mosquitoes, flies and other annoying warm season bugs. Tweak as you wish and apply with confidence.
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Tips and Warning:
- As usual with essential oils, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding must consult health practitioners before using it.
- Extreme attention must be used when using essential oils in small children.
- Always do a filling test to check allergic reactions before using essential oil for the first time.
- Always label homemade products well.
- Dark colored bottles work best for products containing essential oils. Store in a cold and dark place when not in use.